Reporting Crime

Records, Reports, Warrants and Reporting Crime

On this page you will be able to find information on the following topics:

How to Obtain a Crime Report

The Asheville Police Department has multiple ways for citizens to obtain a copy of a police report. 

  1. You may visit the Asheville Police Department's Records Unit located in the lobby of the Municipal Building (100 Court Plaza). The Records Unit is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  2. You can print off a copy of a report at home using the Police-to-Citizen tool.
  3. You may send your request with a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Asheville Police Department Records Unit, PO Box 7148, Asheville, NC 28802.

How to Get a Towed Vehicle Released

If your vehicle has been towed due to police interaction other than a traffic accident, the owner of the vehicle must go to the Asheville Police Department Records Unit (located at 100 Court Plaza) with proof of identity and proof of vehicle ownership in order to get a release form. The owner can then take the release copy to the towing company and pay any fees owed. After receipt of payment the vehicle will be released to the owner.

  • Acceptable proof of identity documents: driver's license, state issued ID, any other form of picture ID
  • Acceptable proof of vehicle ownership documents: title, registration, dealership bill of sale or notarized personal bill of sale

How to Check on a Warrant

To check on warrants that were taken out against you, or warrants that you have taken out on another person, you must contact the Buncombe County Magistrate's Office located in the Buncombe County Courthouse. This must be done in person, information will not be given out over the phone or via email.

Fingerprints for Employment and Local Criminal History Check

If you require fingerprints for employments or a local criminal history check, please visit the Buncombe County Bureau of Identificationlocated at 20 Davidson Drive, Asheville. Information regarding hours of operation and fees associated with these services can be found by visiting their website or by contacting the division by phone at (828) 250-4661.

Applying for a Gun Permit

If you would like to apply for a gun permit you will need to visit the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office at 202 Haywood Street, Asheville. For more information on this service please visit the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office website or call (828) 255-5555.

How to Report a Crime

The Asheville Police Department provides a number of ways that citizens and visitors can report criminal activity. For all emergency situations citizens can reach law enforcement by dialing 9-1-1. For non-emergency situations individuals can report crime by:

  1. You may call the Asheville Police Department non-emergency number at (828) 252-1110.
  2. You may visit the Asheville Police Department's Police Information Desk located in the lobby of the Municipal Building (100 Court Plaza) Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  3. You may report criminal activity anonymously but utilizing Asheville-Buncombe Crime Stoppers (information below).

Crime Stoppers

Asheville-Buncombe Crime Stoppers is a program separate from the emergency telephone number system that allows a member of the community to provide anonymous information about criminal activity. The program allows a person to provide crime solving assistance to the authorities without being directly involved in the investigation process. That person could also be eligible for a reward if the reported information results in an arrest. Crime Stopper programs are operated in many communities worldwide. Crime Stoppers is an important way for Buncombe County to get involved with keeping the community safe and crime free. Tips from anonymous callers are invaluable for law enforcement officials to find and apprehend suspects. The Crime Stoppers phone number is (828) 255-5050.

How does the program work?

  1. The first step begins when a concerned citizen makes an anonymous telephone call to Crime Stoppers by calling (828) 255-5050. The coordinator or telecommunicator takes the information offered and gets the individual's date of birth.
  2. Information obtained by the Crime Stoppers coordinator will be forwarded to the appropriate agency and division.
  3. The board will vote on the dollar amount to be awarded to the anonymous person when an arrest has been made based on the caller's tips.
  4. When the caller contacts Crime Stoppers to check on the status of his/her file, the coordinator will inform him/her of the arrest and the reward money. The coordinator will get a physical description of the caller and will give him/her a receipt number to use to receive the cash award. A time and place to meet a board member will be set up.
  5. The caller and board member will meet in the designated place and the caller will have to write their receipt number on the paper in order to receive his/her cash reward.

See Something, Say Something

The Asheville Police Department encourages everyone to report any suspicious activity to local law enforcement. It's easy to take for granted to routine moments in our every day - going to work or school, the grocery store or gas station. But your every day is different than your neighbor's - filled with moments that make it uniquely yours. So if you see something you know shouldn't be there - or someone's behavior that doesn't seem quite right - say something! Because only you know what's supposed to be in your everyday. To learn more about the "See Something, Say Something" campaign, please visit