Right of Way Encroachments

Residents or businesses wishing to place structures, objects or merchandise within public rights-of-way (roadsides, sidewalks, etc.) should apply for an encroachment agreement. The processing fee for an encroachment application is $200. The City of Asheville administers a sidewalk encroachment permit program for signs, outdoor dining, outdoor merchandise and pushcarts. If you choose to encroach in the city's sidewalk in any of the following ways, you will be required to obtain a permit.

For information about the encroachment application process or to request forms to apply for an encroachment agreement, contact the Public Works Department at (828) 259-5749 or download the application.